Saturday, January 14, 2012

Taking the Lane


A speedy recovery to Gene Hackman who was hit by a car while riding his bike in Florida yesterday.  I was going to write more about my search for my next bike but this accident brings up another question for me:  Do I feel safe riding in traffic? The answer  is that I do not.  While many cycling advocates instruct riders in the use of  vehicular cycling and insist that cyclists should "take the lane", at least for now, I fully intend to limit my riding to quiet streets in my neighborhood and designated bike trails.  


I understand that the roads belong to all of us and that cars should share the road.  When I was younger I was much more daring.  Maybe it is because my reflexes have slowed, or that my range of motion is limited and I can no longer keep looking over my shoulder.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that age has brought with it an increased awareness of my own mortality or I have just acquired common sense. Whatever, I am much more cautious than I used to be. I don’t think I will ever feel comfortable with taking the lane as so many cycling enthusiasts seem to advocate..

No comments:

Post a Comment