Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anticipation


I have registered for the lottery to enter the TD Five Boro Bike Tour  I won’t hear before February 7.  I think I will delay buying a bike until after I’ve heard whether or not I have been selected to participate. I have heard mixed reports about how difficult and steep the approach to the Verrazano is and if I get to ride, I will buy an 8 speed  derailleur  to train on rather than the commuter bike I had planned to purchase.

Raleigh Detour
I have decided that I will rent a bike should I go to New York and the bikes offered for rental are Trek 8 speed hybrids.  I will test one of these Treks  when the weather warms up.  I have ridden the 8 speed Raleigh Detour 2.5  and really enjoyed the ride. The 2.5 is at the low end of the price range for a Detour but it has a steel frame and I prefer that to aluminum.

On the other hand, if I don’t get in and I do the Chicago ride, I will go with a 3 speed internal hub.   So far  the KHS Manhattan Green tops my list. I like the look of this bike and really enjoy the ride. I am, however,  currently re-examining my need to buy a commuter bike. I plan to ride mostly on trails and locally. I will do everything I can not to ride in the rain or at night so maybe I should go with a lighter weight bike without fenders, a rack  and a light. At these price points maybe I can have one of each. We'll see. 

Meanwhile, I have begun my training for the ride by going to the gym and riding the stationary bike and doing some Tae Bo tapes at home.  Having a specific goal in mind makes exercising easier for me. 

Looking forward to an exciting May in either event.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I was thinking of doing a Populaire this spring, but as I've spent most of the winter sitting on my butt, I don't know if I'm in shape to do a 50- or 100-km ride in one day.

    ReplyDelete